30 Jul 2021: "Use of recycled paper" added.
13 Jul 2021: "Sending back source files" added.
7 Jul 2021: "Use of emails" expanded. "Filing of letters and emails" added.
7 Apr 2019: "Issuing Tender Documents just before holidays" added.
Issuing Tender Documents just before holidays
Added 7 April 2019
- If issuing Tender Documents on Friday, remind the tenderers that our office is closed on Saturday and not available for collection of documents.
- If issuing Tender Documents just before the Chinese New Year Holidays, ensure that the tendering period can accommodate the different lengths of holidays of the tenderers and their suppliers and factories. Factories usually close for longer time than the public holidays.
- Binding machine
- Fax machine
- Broadband connection
- Internet service
- Client software
- office automation
- pdf and compression
- CAD and BIM
- server software
- File server
- Email server
- Web server
- office automation
- Unless authorized, do not watch, memorize or use passwords used by the Company to assess internal or external websites
- Do not disclose passwords used by the Company to outside persons
Fax machine setting
- Set time clock
- Set sender’s identity
- Do not install those provided by Windows
- Install those provided by the printer companies
- Copy the file saved in the “Installation Sources” folder in the server to the local computer, install, set to use A4, black and white, single sided and recycled paper, and delete the file after successful installation
Protocol when answering phone calls
- Answer first with company name or own name
- Proactively answer calls unattended, write down name of caller, company name, contact number, and relevant project or matter, and pass the note to the relevant person
Use of recycled paper
- Recycle paper which has been printed on one page only.
- Only recycle paper which is in good conditions and does not have stamped marks on the printed page visible on the blank page.
- Use recycled paper to print emails and drafts not intended for sending out as hardcopies.
- Do not send out recycled paper to other parties because it may contain confidential information.
- Put recycled paper in the standby storage boxes and printer trays following the facing directions indicated at the standby storage boxes or printers.
- Inspect the recycled papers to be free of staples and in the correct directions before putting them in the printer trays.
- So put the recycled paper in the printer trays that the previously printed page will be on the back and upside down.
- Draw a diagonal line on the last back page of such recycled paper in a document.
- Draw a diagonal line on each of the back pages of those recycled paper which have not been turned upside down.
- Note that recycled pages which do not have the previously printed pages turned upside down will cause confusion when reading and when the document is to be scanned in the future.
(Added, 30 Jul 2021)
Use of emails
Follow the template for folder structure under the email Data folder to create new folder structure for new jobs.
參照Data電郵夾下的電郵夾結構模板” template for folder structure” 的概念把所有工程的電郵夾分類及統一名稱
- Delete spam emails on sight, to reduce everybody’s abortive time to read (permanent clearance from the Deleted Items folder will be done by the Administrator).
- Ignore all emails received from time to time calling for security verification regarding iTune, Apple ID, Microsoft, PayPal, HSBC, etc. since they are mostly malicious emails.
千祈不要理會不時收到的關於iTune、 Apple ID、Microsoft、PayPal、HSBC 等等要人重新輸入認證的電郵，黑郵居多
- Do not open or save attachments received from unknown persons, and do not click open links.
- bcc all outgoing emails back to our office.
- Check that the bcc copies are received by our office to prove that the outgoing server is working.
- Check that there are no delivery failure message (should appear within 5 minutes) to prove that the delivery is successful.
- Handle any delivery failure immediately by contacting the intended recipient for the proper address, and re-send with a remark "Re-sent due to delivery failure", cc all others on the original email to make them know.
- For urgent email failed to be delivered after retry or failure to contact the intended recipient, fax the email copy to his/her company with a remark "Faxed due to email delivery failure" and the date. Email the front page back to the office.
- Email source files (Word, Excel, etc.) back to our office after sending out pdf files. Mark at the beginning "Source files attached".
Correspondence not by emails
- All outgoing and incoming documents not sent by email should be emailed back to our office for the record.
- Print all emails once every half-an-hour as far as possible.
- Print before lunch break all emails received before 12 am.
- Print before close of a day's work all emails received before 5 pm.
- Print upon starting a day's work all emails received before that.
Persons responsible for printing
- In principle, all are responsible for printing the emails of their own projects.
- Assign more junior or newly joined staff members to print emails for a team of staff members.
- Assign a person as the final guard to remind all others to print their emails by the 12 am and 5 pm deadlines, and print all remaining emails not falling within the scope of the any particular team.
- The above principle still applies if a clerk is employed to do the printing.
- Print the newly received pages of the emails only, i.e., excluding linked pages of past emails which have been received before.
- Print on one-sided recycled paper. (One-sided printout will be easier for reading and future scanning for archiving.)
- Print on double-sided paper only when required by the surveyor responsible.
- Print the one with track-changes if both Word or Excel and pdf files are received.
Not to print
- Delete spam emails.
- Delete promotional emails not relevant to our industry, profession or business.
- Do not delete nor print promotional emails relevant to our industry, profession or business. File them under their relevant folders, if available, otherwise under "Sales Promotion".
- Permanent deletion from the Trash folders should only be made by the director.
- Do not print documents which are too thick, say more than 30 pages. Ask the surveyor responsible to see whether the thick documents should be printed.
Emailed copies of faxes
- Treat emailed copies of faxes similarly.
- Convert emailed copies of faxes to proper emails by forwarding each email with attached fax back to the office but stating a proper subject title and inserting an image of the first page in the email beforehand.
Documents sent through links
- Do not download from links sent by unknown senders for unknown purposes. Check with the senders if in doubt.
- Download ALL documents received through genuine links and and email them back to our office for the record.
- Email ALL documents sent out through links back to our office for the record.
- Split them into several emails if the file size is too large.
Emails attached to emails
- Save emails attached to an email received on to the computer desktop and move them back to the email folder. They will appear at the positions of their original email dates. This would enable reading the story in a chronological order, and easy tracing later.
- Print such emails like other emails.
Handling of printed emails
- When there are more than one attachment, identify whether they belong to one submission or several submissions each bearing its own serial number or date (e.g., letters, site memos, proposed variations, instructions, variation quotations, payments, minutes, regular reports, etc.).
- Separate between different submissions by staples or clips.
- Arrange different submissions according to the dates stated on them (not the dates received).
- Within the same submission, arrange the attachments in logical sequence, usually covering letter or site memo at the front and drawings at the back. Descriptive documents are usually in the middle. Summaries may be put before or after the details depending on the authors. Follow the specific contents page or the list of items stated in the email. Do not follow the order of the attachments to the email because they have no logical sequence.
- Fold thin A3 attachment (say, not exceeding 5 pages) forward from right to left along the centre line into A4 size, and then fold the top flap from left to right along the centre line into half A4 size.
- Fold thick A3 attachment backward from right to left keeping the edge clear from the left punch holes.
- Stamp the date received on the top right hand corner of each separate submission received (but no need for different parts of the same submission which are not supposed to be taken out for use separately).
- Stamp the date received on the top right hand corner on each programme and on the bottom right hand corner on each drawing because they may be filed or taken out for use separately.
- Mark near the date chop the relevant instruction numbers.
- Stamp neatly and clearly at a blank space.
- Do not stamp on submissions emailed by our office unless they are returned with emails received.
- Write on the emails simple reference numbers and dates of those separate submissions which are filed not immediately after the relevant emails to enable future tracing.
- Initial neatly on the bottom left corners of the emails after arranging the emails and attachments.
- File the emails directly in the appropriate email sub-folders of the relevant projects.
- If the emails are printed by somebody other than the relevant team members, file the emails under the "00Printed" email folder for subsequent filing by the relevant team members.
- Distribute the printed emails once every half-an-hour to the relevant project team members for reading.
- Circulate within the relevant team starting from the director to the assistant. If any person is absent, pass on to the next one present.
- Read and initial on the top right hand corners of the emails and the first pages of separate submissions.
- Take immediate actions as required by the emails.
- File the emails in the relevant hardcopy folder after all team members have read and initialled and when no further immediate action is required.
- File different submissions according to their dates even though those dates may be sometime in the past so that they can tell the complete story when the files are read sequentially sometime later. The date received stamp can help to trace that emails sending them though the submission and the email may be filed separately.
Filing of letters and emails
- Create a separate folder section for each preliminary cost estimate, proposed instruction, confirmation of verbal instruction, formal instruction, other item to appear in the final account (e.g., group of provisional quantities, provisional sum), financial report, payment valuation, etc.
- Name the email folders or label the hardcopy folder flysheets by their serial numbers.
- If an email covers more than one folder section, email it back to the office with a note added to the subject so as to distinguish. Do not just make copies because identical copies will be deleted if a "remove duplicate" check is done.
- File requests for estimates and estimates under the proposed instruction folders. Move them to the formal instruction folders after the issuance of the formal instructions.
- Move confirmations of verbal instructions to the formal instruction folders after the issuance of the formal instructions.
- Change the folder or label names to reflect or track the move.
- File quotations and assessment related to a formal instruction under the same folder section, i.e., all matters related from cost estimate until agreement are to be filed together to tell the complete story.
- Spilt into more folders if an instruction covers more than one variation or final account item.
- Update the financial report descriptions and amounts to match whenever a new or revised quotation or assessment is received or issued.
- File communications with each tenderer separately. This is important for tracking the development, preparing the letter of award/intent, and contract binding.
- In principle, all incoming and outgoing documents in the email folders and hard copy folders should mirror each other, except for working documents not sent out.
- Bind tender documents as a book, not to be filed.
Use of WhatsApp
- Read Company chat group regularly.
- Reply immediately upon receipt of messages relating to self or all people, whether within or outside office hours.
- Report after completion of the task.
- Delete messages after completion of the task.
- Learn from others' messages to avoid committing the same mistakes and to adopt good practice.
- Delete non-relevant messages not worth keeping.
- Use the License Transfer Utility provided by Revit to transfer Standalone License from one computer to another computer without infringing the license
使用Revit提供的許可證轉移工貝(License Transfer Utility)把單機許可證從一部電腦, 轉移到另一部機而不違反許可證
- Use Revit 2015 because some outside companies still use Revit 2013 or 2014 and models of new version cannot be converted back to older versions
使用Revit 2015版，此乃因為外面有些公司仍只用Revit 2013或2014版，但新版本的模型不能改回舊
- Use Revit 2015 for trial
- Use standard documents and templates
- Implement file management
- State file names, reference numbers, project names, contract names, subjects
- State date of receipt or dispatch, and affix acknowledgement chop
- Carry out internal check
- Double-check after printing
- Double-check after calculating
- Double-check after transferring figures
- Check quantities and rates
- Set Winrar to use zip format to enable users who do not have Winrar to open (Windows file explorer can open zipped files)
把Winrar 檔的格式設定為zip方便沒有Winrar的人打開(Windows file explorer可打開zipped 檔
Generate pdf file from Word file
Word 檔轉換成 pdf檔
- Print CutePDF (如有)
- Print - Save as Adobe PDF (如有)
- Print - Adobe PDF (如有)
- Save as
- State the destination on all taxi fare receipts for the record
Use of toilets
- Use the toilet roll plastic wrapper after unwrapping as the base cushion to the toilet roll to avoid wetness and reduce dirt
- Place a new roll as reserve when the toilet roll is about to be used up